My March Birchbox came while I was in Mississippi so I wasn’t able to play the guess what box you are getting that we over at MakeUpTalk play every month. I haven’t decided if this is a good thing or a bad thing though I am leaning towards good since I haven’t allowed myself to see what the other boxes are so there is no disappointment. That being said, I would hope this would have been one of the boxes I would have liked cause I really like it!
There was a wide variety of samples to chose from this month so I’ll start with the hair.
Lulu Organics® Lavender + Clary Sage Hair Powder
Lulu Organics® Lavender + Clary Sage Hair Powder – Lulu Organics®’s organic hair powder is the hip younger sister of mainstream dry shampoos: she’s eco-conscious, health-savvy, and has vague plans of packing her bags and moving to Portland. Analogies aside, this winning natural formula revives second day locks by absorbing volume-zapping oil. It has a lovely lavender scent laced with the faintest trace of herbal clary sage. And since it leaves no chalky white residue behind, even dark-haired girls can use it.
Sample size: small envelope, approximately 2 – 3 uses if used as directed
Ingredients: *organic corn starch, white clay, baking soda, *organic rice powder, *organic horsetail powder, *essential oils *USDA Organic & Oregon Tilth Certified Organic
Directions: Sprinkle a quarter-size smount of hair powder into your hands, and rub them together so a thin coat is covering both palms. Work through your roots. For best results, brush your hair immediately afterwards to help evenly distribute the powder.
How it works: Most dry shampoos are made with talc, a controversial ingredient that may have carcinogenic properties (scary, no?). But Lulu Organics®’s version is formulated with organic corn starch, rice powder, white clay, and pure essential oils, so you never have to worry. The sweet-smelling powder helps you achieve the look of just-washed hair no matter how long it’s been since your last shampoo.
Retails from $18 (travel size) to $72 (4.5 oz) (Birchbox retails for $30 for 4 oz)
- Packaging: Small brown envelope, sealed very well, the bottom comes to sharp points which while looks cute, becomes an issue once the product is open as it tends to fall over so be careful.
- Visual Appeal: Very simple design, cute packaging
- Texture: Fine dry powder feels smooth to the skin, spreads easily
- Scent: Not a very strong or harsh scent, very soothing and pleasing.
- Use: I was a little conservative with the product since I had never used this type of product before or dry shampoos so I wasn’t really sure what to expect. I haven’t washed my hair in a couple days so I can certainly feel the oil on my scalp. I used a quarter size per the instructions but I don’t really feel much of a difference. I will try one more time later this evening but so far, I am not sold on this product.
Pass/Fail: Still In Testing
One Love Organics® Skin Savior Waterless Beauty Balm
One Love Organics® Skin Savior Waterless Beauty Balm – This creamy balm is such an incredible multi-tasker, we don’t know how we ever lived without it. A three-in-one makeup remover, cleanser, and head-to-toe moisturizer, it’s the only product you need to keep your skin pure and unbelievably soft. The faint tropical scent comes courtesy of organic oils and other natural ingredients. Bonus: it’s made without a single drop of water, making it ultra-rich and concentrated (look Ma, no fillers!).
Sample size: 0.5 oz
Ingredients: Organic Cocos nucifera (Virgin Coconut) Oil, Organic Glycine Soja (Sweet Soy) seed oil, Organic Beeswax, Mangifera indica (Mango) seed butter, Salvia Hispanica (Chia) Seed Extract, Avena sativa (Oat) Extract, Citrus aurantium dulcis (Orange) peel wax, Organic Vanilla planifolia fruit extract, Tocopherol (Vitamin E)
Directions: To cleanse skin, apply a small amount to face and massage gently. For best results, remove with One Love Organic’s My New Best Friend Skin Shammy and rinse away with lukewarm water. For moisturizing effects, apply a small amount to thirsty skin.
Retails for $68 for 3.5 oz
- Packaging: White plastic jar with screw top lid. Stick on label, easy to reuse once product is finished.
- Visual Appeal: Very cute, though I will need to add something to the top so when I am looking into my beauty kit, I can identify it.
- Texture: Very creamy, initial oily feeling but as it is worked into the skin, it dissipates pretty quickly. The heat of your skin will melt the product pretty rapidly so have a care when taking product out of the jar. I wasn’t expecting it to give as quickly as it did and I got too much product on testing.
- Scent: There is a myriad of scents that go very well together though the most prominent is orange. Very strong at first and softens pretty quickly
- Use: Smooths on nicely and works into the skin pretty quickly.
All in all, I liked this little product, I am considering picking up the little shammy cloth to use for cleansing but even if I don’t, I will have no problem using this solely as a moisturizer.
Harvey Prince Ageless - Pink Grapefruit
Harvey Prince Ageless – Pink Grapefruit – What started out as a sweet gift idea has turned into a cult fragrance. The brother duo behind Harvey Prince originally created this uncommon blend as a Mother’s Day present for their stylish mom. And they didn’t just design a pretty scent—they used olfactory research to develop a fragrance that’s calibrated to make you smell more youthful. The result, a sophisticated mix of citrus notes and blossomy florals, will appeal to you no matter your age.
Sample size: Small vial
Directions: Apply the scent to your pulse points — neck, wrists, behind the ears, and inner elbows. You can also spritz a little on to the tips of your hair or any non-delicate clothing..
Retails for $102 – $129 for 3.4 oz
- Packaging: Simple clear bottle with plastic stopper
- Visual Appeal: Usual vial design
- Scent: Very citrus based with a floral undertone
- Use: Spray on pulse points, I usually just do my wrists.
I usually don’t go for fruity perfumes, I don’t like to smell like food! But this really surprised me. It’s very clean and while it comes out very strong, it mellows pretty quickly. I’m keeping this one.
Supergoop!® Sunscreen Swipes™
- Supergoop!® Sunscreen Swipes™ – If there’s one skincare motto you should commit to memory, it’s this: never, ever skip the sunscreen. Shielding your skin from harmful UV rays is hands down the best way to prevent fine lines and brown spots, yet slathering yourself in lotion isn’t exactly a pleasant task. That’s why we adore these easy breezy SPF 30 swipes. Created by a veteran of the sun protection industry, they’re soaked with a skin-safe formula that provides broad-spectrum, water-resistant protection. Plus, an infusion of green tea soothes even the most sensitive-skin.
Sample size: two individual wrapped wipes
Ingredients: Active Ingredients:
Ensulizole 2%, Homosalate (Sunscreen) 10%, Octocrylene 2.8%, Zinc Oxide 7% Inactive Ingredients:
Water (Aqua), C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Diethylhexyl 2,6-Naphthalate (Sunscreen Stabilizer), Acrylates/C12-22 Alkyl Methacrylate Copolymer (Waterproofing), C14-22 Alcohols, C12-20 Alkyl Glucoside, Ascorbyl Palmitate (Vitamin C Palmitate), Aminomethyl Propanol, Phenoxyethanol (Preservative), Ethylhexylglycerin (Plant Derived Preservative), Inulin Lauryl Carbamate, Helianthus Annuus (Hybrid Sunflower) Oil, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride (Plant Derived), Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E Acetate), Paeonia Albifora Flower (White Tea) Extract, Helianthus Annus (Sunflower) Seed Extract, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Disodium EDTA, Citric Acid (Naturally Derived).
Directions: Remove a swipe from the pouch. Rub the sunscreen into any exposed skin and wait 30 minutes before going outside. If you’re heading to the pool or beach, be sure to reapply every two hours or so for continuous sun protection.
Retails for $5 – $17 for a package of 8, Birchbox $34 for 40
- Packaging: Simple envelopes
- Visual Appeal: Unique design, easy to read
- Texture: I haven’t opened them yet since I am set to go on a cruise in a month, I am saving these so I won’t be able to give a complete review until after May.
I don’t usually use sunscreen, I’m not one to burn and even though I should, I simply never have. Since I am going on a cruise in a few weeks, I am saving these to use during the trip.
Pass/Fail: Still In Testing
Color Club Neon Nail Polish - Age of Aquarius
- Color Club Neon Nail Polish in Age of Aquarius – Maybe we’ve watched too many re-runs of The Brady Bunch, but we’ve always had a soft spot for the 1960s. So it’s no surprise that these ‘60s-inspired polishes are right up our alley. They come in seven neon shades that channel the decade’s exuberant vibe: think mod girls, painted buses, and the advent of color TV.
Sample size: 0.25 fl oz
Retails from $2 to $14 depending on individual or set
- Packaging: Small glass rectangular bottle with black plastic lid
- Visual Appeal: very cute design, bright color
- Texture: Applies very well, not to wet. Needs two coats for complete coverage
- Scent: Strong nail polish scent
I love this color! At first I will admit, I wasn’t too sure about it but once I got it on, I fell in love. I can’t do a swatch test right now because my nails are destroyed after the camping trip last week and I have no nail polish remover in the house but I should be able to remedy that after this weekend.
Tea Forté® skin-smart™ Teas (L to R - Honey Yuzu, Cherry Marzipan & Cucumber Mint)
- Tea Forté® skin-smart™ Teas – Teatime just got a makeover. Not only do these fruity green teas taste amazing, they contain mega-high levels of antioxidants to repair your skin from the inside out. Each flavor addresses a specific concern, from fighting oxidative stress (a major source of wrinkles) to restoring skin’s youthful glow. Certified organic and fair trade, the beautifying blends will help you look as great as you feel—and who can say no to that?
Sample size: 3 individual tea bags
organic green tea, Fair Trade Certified™ organic green tea, organic rooibos, natural cherry flavor, organic raspberry leaves, natural almond flavor, natural flavoring (berry), organic acerola cherry extract, (organic acerola, organic maltodextrin), SKIN SMART LOOSE TEAS CONTAIN, Fair Trade Certified™ organic green tea, natural cherry flavor, organic raspberries, natural almond flavor, other natural flavors
organic green tea, Fair Trade Certified™ organic green tea, organic orange peel, natural grapefruit flavor, natural honey flavor, organic flower pollen mixture, (organic safflower, organic marigold,organic rose), natural yuzu flavor, natural flavoring (citrus), SKIN SMART LOOSE TEAS CONTAIN, Fair Trade Certified™ organic green tea, organic orange peels, natural honey flavor, natural grapefruit flavor, natural yuzu flavor
organic green tea, Fair Trade Certified™ organic green tea, organic spearmint leaves, organic marigold flowers, natural blueberry flavor, organic basil leaves, natural cucumber flavor, organic blueberries, SKIN SMART LOOSE TEAS CONTAIN, Fair Trade Certified™ organic green tea, organic spearmint leaves, organic basil leaves, organic marigold flowers, natural blueberry flavor, natural cucumber
Directions: Steep a tea bag in hot water for two to four minutes. Sip and enjoy.
Retails from $6 per box of 16 or $15 per container
- Packaging: Small plastic wrappers, easy to identify logo/print
- Visual Appeal: very cute design, easy to read
- Scent: I tried the honey yuzu today because of my sore throat and really enjoyed it. The scent was not overpowering and was quite enjoyable
I can very easily see these finding a place in my tea stash.